Sunday, April 23, 2006

Aceh Photos

In Late April early May last year I was funded by Caritas Aotearoa to go to the Provence of Aceh in Indonesia following the devastating Tsunami which had hit the area on boxing day (24 December) 2004.
My job was to record the aid work being done by Caritas's partner organizations
JRSJesuit Refugee Service
CRSCatholic Relief Services
ICMCInternational Catholic Migration Commission
and IDEP

I spent around 20 days in Indonesia, traveling via Medan to Banda Aceh the capital, to Pulo Aceh, Pedi, Muelaboh and finally through southern Aceh to Tepaktuan and over the mountains back to Medan.

I would have to say it was the most amazing experience of my life and I am very grateful for the opportunity. The people I met were unbelievably hospitable and friendly. I never once felt threatened by the locals and I was able to meet so many inspiring people.

I also have to thank the Achehneese Support group in Wellington who help me to do the trip as well as Rayna Fahey who supported me right through as well.

Again Many thanks to Caritas and their partner organizations.

Your comments are much appreciated, and I apologize for the delay in editing the last post as it has been a very busy week for me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking on Tuesday about how it was a year since we put you on that plane. My how time flies. Good to see the spelling hasn't improved :)

Thanks for putting these shots up, 12 months hasn't taken away any of the impact of these shots.

Amazing work.

5:33 PM  
Blogger wendela said...

Beautiful work, Cameron. How long were you there?

7:53 PM  
Blogger wendela said...

Thanks for the update. What an experience. Share more when you have time! :)

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home